New Years Goals

Did you guys come up with any New Years goals? I know some find them to be tacky and annoying but I think its fun, no need to be pragmatic all the time. If you didn’t come up with any goals you can also tell me why you didn’t.

My goals tend to revolve around trying something new, or restarting a good habit that I used to do. This year, I wanted to start reading more, and put in a simple goal of 12 books for the year. I end up reading a lot on the internet but I never really get anything out of it. I think reading books and scientific papers will be a better use of my time.

So far this goal has been going well, I already finished “Who Owns the Future?” by Jaron Lanier, which proposes a future online economic system with two-way linking between content and micropayments. Currently I’m reading “Strong Towns” by Charles Marohn Jr, which talks about the issues with urban planning in North America and how we’ve strayed away from tradition with how we build our towns and cities. I have some random psychology books that I got when I used to volunteer at the library that I haven’t read yet. Those will likely be the next things I read.

Some things helping me read more is the Kindle that my sister has so graciously lent to me and trying to sneak in reading whenever I can. Reading two screens-worth of a book is, or at least feels, a lot easier than reading two pages. I also find it helpful that when I’m mindlessly looking at my phone that I just toss it onto my bed and look away. It certainly helps me to do what I should be doing, or at least something better than scrolling.

1 Like

My new years resolution is to be based and get paid

2 Likes

I hope you get paid for being based

2 Likes

My new year’s resolution is to finish Spandrel. I got a lot better at writing in 2020

2 Likes

I am excited

1 Like

YAY!

Very nice, if you ever need a reader to share their thoughts don’t be afraid to ask me