Phenomenon I've noticed

To start out with, writer’s block is NOT the same thing as procrastination. Writer’s block is when writing the story is actually miserable. Procrastination is just when you’re afraid to touch the page. For example, I love Leaving Carton even though I habitually avoid it. The word count comes naturally, no need to inflate it – the story emerges note by note. I do not have any “blocks.” I haven’t really experienced writers’ block since my early days in high school where I would force myself to just “put words on the page.” (Terrible advice btw).

Something I’ve noticed however is that I can still get writers’ block when first beginning a story with a blank page. And also what I notice is that, the longer a story becomes and the more detail that’s put into it, the easier it becomes to actually really love it. By contrast, the shorter a work is (and of course, the less notes there are), the harder it is to care about it. Essentially, you’re building up some sort of force, or getting over this hump that allows you to actually enter into a real, dreamlike state. After that, no more writers’ block; only moments of casual uncertainty.

Anyone have a good name to call this phenomenon?

1 Like

Didn’t you already call this the ‘First Hump’ in one of your videos?

1 Like

Anyone have a good name to call this phenomenon?

You can get this when starting anything new that takes a lot of effort, whether it’s writing, or painting, or gaming, or whatever. Maybe you could call it “starter’s hump”.

1 Like

Yeah, once you get over the hump though, it’s something you’re actually proud of.

Maybe call it “the golden hump” – emphasizes that this is like a great thing

1 Like